Want to improve your health? Then pucker up for lemons and limes. They have so many health benefits. Cleanse your body, add taste to your food, improve your body’s ability to fight disease, and so much more.
While both are available throughout the year, lemons are in the peak of their season around May, June and August while limes are at their peak from May through October.
Lemons have a refreshing sour acidity taste, but when you eat it they have an alkaline effect in the stomach. The yellow outer peel contains limonene.
What is Limonene? The technical definition is a colorless liquid hydrocarbon classified as a cyclic terpene. The more common D isomer possesses a strong smell of oranges. It is used in chemical synthesis as a precursor to carvone and as a renewably-based solvent in cleaning products. Contains essential oil that is mainly limonene. Limonene have anti-cancer agents effects and help increase the level of enzymes that detoxify carcinogens.
Limes is a small round green citrus fruit. Most limes are sourish and have an acidic taste, but when consumed is actually alkaline.
A really refreshing treat to try with organic lemon or lime juice is take the juice and make ice cubes out of it. When you have a glass of water, ice tea or your favorite drink add a few of the ice cubes. You not only add zest, but the drink will be much healthier. Lime and lemon add refreshing zest to almost any drink which help to cleanse and enhance immune properties of any juice.
Most of these suggestion should be used first thing in the morning about 1 hour before breakfast and used with warm fluoride free water or spring water. It’s better to use an organic lemon-lime squeezer to get maximum juice with minimum seeds and effort.
The nutritional benefits of limes and lemons are much the same. They both have excellent sources of Vitamin C, B6, potassium, folic acid, flavonoids, calcium, magnesium, those great phytochemical, and limonene.
Health Benefit of Lemons & Limes:
1. Lemons and limes are high in potassium. Potassium is an important mineral that works with sodium for smooth electrical transmission in the brain and nervous system. Depression, anxiety, fogginess, and forgetfulness can often be traced to low potassium blood levels. That same nervous system needs potassium to assure steady signals to the heart. So your heart health is improved from the lemon water’s potassium.
2. The Calcium and magnesium are plentiful in good ratio to each other in lemon and lime water. Magnesium is important for heart health and calcium prevents rickets.
3. Try some warm lemon water–According to A.F. Beddoe, author of Biological Ionization as Applied to Human Nutrition, helps the liver produces more enzymes from lemon and lime water than any other food. Lemons and limes helps to detoxify the body by stimulating, purifying the liver, and liquefies bile while ceasing excess bile flow. It’s atomic composition is similar to saliva and the hydrochloric acid of digestive juices. The lemon-lime water helps bowels eliminate naturally and easily and will relieve bloating and belching.
4. Lemons and limes both contain phytochemicals that are high in anti-oxidant and anti-cancer properties. They also potent detoxifiers with antibiotic effect that is protective against bacterial poisoning.
5. To help with constipation drink a glass of warm water first thing every morning with lemon or lime. You can also add some raw honey and add a pinch of organic cinnamon powder. The cinnamon will help your body detoxify.
6. Lemon and lime water can help lower blood pressure.
7. Will help to relieve heartburn. Just add 2 teaspoons of organic concentrated lime or lemon juice to a warm glass.
8. Soak you feet in very hot warm lemon and lime water and feel the cooling astringent feeling plus this will help you sleep much better due to the relaxing action on the foot nerves.
9. Helps dilute uric acid in your tissues and therefore very alkalizing. It is highly effective in treating any inflammatory condition such as arthritis, gout, rheumatism, or even sciatica.
10. Lemon & Lime has anti-viral properties that helps fight infections such as the common cold and reduces phlegm. Before bedtime drink a glassful of hot water with the juice of 1 lemon or lime or both. For extra benefits add raw honey.
The warm lemon and lime water daily habit is economical, easy, and so healthy! As with all natural remedies lemons and limes can be very beneficial bit should be used in moderation.
Marla Gates is the owner of organic4greenlivings.com. Marla worked for over 10 years in healthcare, which helped her understand the dramatic need for changes in our society and how we view what healthy actually is. Her mission is education and awareness, so that people can make healthier choices and ensure a safe world for all of us to live in. Since she has suffered from Environment Illness or Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), for 20 years or more it has given her the first-hand knowledge on what chemicals and pollution can do to your health. She knows how important it is to clean up our environment. So come join her, read her blog and learn how to live healthy and green. She believes that we can clean up our environment, but it will take time. Rome was not built-in a day nor can we make our world safe in one day! Each one of us needs to do our part to make it safe for ourselves, our children, grandchildren and all future generations. We can only do it one day at a time and one step at a time! Please join her in “Saving Our Planet Earth” “Go Green” & “Organic” to Live A Healthier Life!