A quick little recipe to make your own air fresheners. These take less than five minutes to make and will fill your house with a lovely aroma for up to a month. Depending on the essential oil you choose, you gain the added benefit of aromatherapy and one less thing to purchase from the store.
What you’ll need:
- 20-30 drops of essential oil – If you choose to make several smaller air fresheners, you can use different oils and have a variety of scents.
- 1 tablespoon of salt, to increase the stability of the gelatin.
- 2 cups of water.
- 4 Packets of plain gelatin
- 2-3 drops food coloring
- Small containers for your concoction. Glass jars work best.
- Mix 2-3 drops of food coloring with your chosen essential oil in the bottom of each jar.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil. When it’s boiling, mix in the gelatin ensuring that it dissolves well.
- Mix the salt into the remaining cup of water, and pour into the hot gelatin. Stir well until the salt is dissolved.
- Quickly pour the hot mixture into your jars and let them set overnight.
- Keep them sealed until use. Each jar should last about a month.
Jonathan Parker is an EMT-Paramedic and Preparedness Instructor with a love for emergency medicine, self-sufficiency and homesteading. His goal is to empower people towards a natural and sustainable lifestyle.