Side by Side
Just for the record I’m not promoting any of the following air purifiers and therefore will only be using details and specs from their respective sites for references while referring to them as A,B, and C. I am doing this to make an overall generalization about air purifiers, which is why I randomly chose these three with a quick internet search.
- Covers Up To 500 Sq. Ft.
- Electronic Controls
- CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) Of 315 Cfm
- Filters The Air 4.8 Times Per Hour
- Very Quiet And Ideal For Overnight Use In The Bedroom
- 3 Fan Speeds Including Turbo
- Charcoal Pre-Filter Traps Odors And Large Particles
- True HEPA Filter Captures 99.97% Of Airborne Particles As Small As 0.3 Microns
- 2 Separate Filter Replacement Lights Indicate When To Replace The HEPA Filter Or Charcoal Pre-Filter
- Built-In Handle And Cord Storage For Easy Moving To Any Room In The House
- Energy Star® Certified
- Large capacity removal of dust, pollen, dust mites, mold spores, smoke, odors and gaseous chemicals such as smoke. Removes dust, pollen, dust mites, mold spores, smoke, odors and many gaseous chemicals.
- The True HEPA filter captures up to 99.97 percent of common airborne pollutants as small as 0.3 microns from the air passing through it such as dust, pollen, tobacco smoke, and cat dander. In addition, it also helps reduce airborne viruses and bacteria.
- The glass-fiber HEPA material helps remove airborne particles, viruses & bacteria without the use of chemicals or other treatments. It also includes an activated carbon pre-filter to help remove larger airborne particles and reduce common household odors. The patented 360 degree air intake and discharge maximizes efficiency.
- The HEPA filter is easy to maintain and can be vacuumed to extend its life. The Intelli-Check™ electronic filter indicator reminds you when to check the HEPA filter and when to replace the carbon pre-filter. This model is most effective for large size room up to 390 sq.ft.
- 3 powerful air cleaning levels
- SurroundSeal™ Technology helps minimize air leaks and insure that the air passes through the filter, capturing particles as small as 0.3 microns²
- This air cleaner is ARB Certified to comply with the federal ozone emissions limit.
- From the air that passes through the filter. Overall particle reduction is dependent on many factors, including the amount of air processed, the pollutant type and the pollutants’ introduction rate into the environment.
- Proven Effective Through Laboratory Testing
- Doctor Recommended
- Recognized by the FDA as a Class II Medical Device
- Energy Efficient
- Quiet, 24-Hour Operation
- 3-Speed Programmable Operation
- Change Filter Indicator Light
- Secure Seal Technology
- Pure Top Release
- Certified to ISO Standards (ISO 9001 and ISO 13485)
- Does Not Produce Ozone
- The filters used reduce 99.98% of pollutants down to 0.1 micron.
- Indoor Air Quality System may provide relief for asthma and allergy sufferers.
- Helps remove common bacteria, pollen, mold, pet dander, cigarette smoke, and fumes from the air, allowing asthma and allergy sufferers to breathe freely again!
A fine tooth comb
I think that it is a safe bet to say that all of these purifiers accomplish their job by removing the common pollutants from the air which happen to fall into the category of bacteria, pollen, mold, pet dander, cigarette smoke, fumes, many gaseous chemicals, and mold spores. Therefore it would be a safe assumption that your air is therefore purified, correct? While there is a chance that fumes from the air and many gaseous chemicals may so happen to cover:
- Fumes emitted from new carpet.
- Fumes emitted from synthetic furniture.
- Fumes emitted from synthetic candles.
- Fumes emitted from perfumes and colognes.
- Fumes emitted from fake plants.
- Fumes emitted from air freshers.
- Fumes emitted from household cleaners.
One thing that you will not find listed in any of the brands of air purifiers is that they actually have any true impact on the purity of the air that you are breathing. I bet you thought that was some type of typo or slip of tongue didn’t you. Well don’t write me off just yet. While all of these things such as dust mites, chemicals, cigarette smoke, pollen and such do impact the quality of the air they qualify more so as an irritant component in the air. My point is you can still breathe with or without their presence.
Did you know that air consists of:
- Nitrogen – 79 parts in a hundred.
- Oxygen – 21 parts in a hundred.
- Carbonic-acid gas – 04 parts in a hundred.
I bet you know out of the three which one we humans depend upon the most. Therefore would it not be a safe assumption to say that the quality of oxygen present is true litmus test for how pure the air that we breathe is or isn’t? If you answered yes to that then let me ask you another question.
Have you ever heard of an air purifier company ever tout that their system actually impacts or adds to the oxygen component in the air that it supposedly purifies?
If you answered no to that then what may I ask is it really doing to your air?
As we have already broken it down, air consists of oxygen 21 parts in a hundred. This is fresh air that we are speaking of here. Did you realize that the amount of air in a single breath is about twenty cubic inches, which would be a globe of air a little smaller than a baseball?
Now consider this:
- We take about eighteen breaths a minute; in an hour, which is equivalent to breathing about twelve cubic feet of air, in a day that is about three hundred cubic feet.
- We breathe more than eighteen times in a minute when we are exercising actively, so three hundred and fifty feet would be nearer the amount used in a day.
- This would equal the entire contents of a room between seven and eight feet on every side.
- We cannot live five minutes without a fresh supply of air.
Do you realize that the loss of even one of the twenty-one parts in a hundred of oxygen, which fresh air contains, makes air less supporting? To clear things up here the air that you breathe out has less oxygen then it did when you breathed it in. Is that easy enough to understand? The point in all of this, in case you are getting lost, is that the true determining factor in the purity of the air is the amount of oxygen present. Less oxygen of any degree equals air degradation. When the air is degraded and you are present in it for long durations on top of all the other pollutants in it, it only spells health issues waiting to happen. Hold on to that thought. So just think about the type of situation you have building when you rarely or never open your windows and you have all those named pollutants floating around on top of shallow breathing.
Let’s say we throw Air Purifiers A – C into the same house running at the same time, can you tell me which one of them is going to purify your air on top of removing all of those added contaminants? Yes we have checked the boxes of pollen, cigarette smoke, most gaseous chemicals and etc… but the most important box goes left unchecked. Can you guess what that is? If you said oxygen then pat yourself on the back, you are a most astute pupil. That’s right folks the cat is out of the bag, none of them add quality oxygen back into the air of that closed up house day after day.
So the question again is, what is it really purifying? On that note I will leave you hanging as we will pick back up here and close out on this discussion. Also just for the record I’m not against air purifiers, just the typical mentality that goes into their purchase. As we close I will discuss why you should and should not purchase and what is the healthiest scenario if you own one, so yawl come on back now.
Read Part 1
Julian Cox is the founder of Seize it Health Matters, a company dedicated to helping people reconnect with themselves and their environment, empowering them with the information they need to make a more well rounded decision in the face of the conflicting information of health and nutrition and provide them with the inspiration to do something for themselves and assist them in achieving their goals of alleviation from their painful state. Based in Spanaway, WA he works with clients by phone, Skype and in person. His practice is focused on helping individuals who are suffering from chronic pain reconnect with themselves and understand the triggers that are contributing to their condition. This is achieved through teaching the individual how to be more in tune with their own body and give them the encouragement, tools and knowledge so that once the program is complete they will be able to continually help themselves maintain a greater level of alleviation than they have known, as he is doing for his own chronic condition. You can learn more about Julian and his services at www.seizeithealthmatters.com. You may also visit his online store at www.cafepress.com/bnspired1.