There is no doubt that home electronics have made our lives more convenient, more entertaining, and have helped us to stay better connected with those we love. Devices like microwaves and blenders have made food preparation quick and simple. Other home electronics, like televisions and DVD players, have greatly enhanced our ability to entertain ourselves. Cell phones help us to communicate with family members, and many people have forgone their landline phone service in lieu of a cell phone. Still, most home electronics equipment emits electronic radiation that can be harmful to our brain and body.  As we continually add new home electronics, the negative effects on our health are compounded. It is important to know the impacts that these devices are having upon your health, and how to reduce the negative effects.
Common Sources of Electronic Radiation
Most home electronics devices emit electronic radiation. Below is a list of equipment that could be causing problems in your health.
- Cordless Phones
- Cordless Baby Alarms
- Cellular Phones
- Wireless Routers
- Microwave Ovens
- Bluetooth Devices
All of these items emit varying levels of radiation, with cell phones (smartphones, in particularly) being the largest source of radiation.  If you live nearby a cell phone tower, you are probably receiving an even larger dose of radiation. Neighborhoods are typically swimming in radiation due to the numerous wireless networks and cell phones being employed in practically every house. This makes it very challenging to completely remove it from your life; however, there are simple ways that may reduce radiation.
The Dangers of Electronic Radiation
Electronic radiation from everyday devices is usually emitted in very small quantities; however, with the large (and ever growing) number of devices that we have in our homes, the cumulative effect can be very dangerous.
Here are the proposed health problems that are often said to be associated with radiation:
- Irregular Behavioral Patterns in Children
- Skin Cancer Risk
- Hypersensitivity and Increased Blood Pressure
- A Constant Feeling of Melancholy or Depression
- Exhaustion and Fatigue
- A Disruption in Sleep Patterns
- Frequent and Severe Headaches
- Abdominal Pain, Constipation, Diarrhea
Many of the above health risks associated with radiation from everyday electronics have seen some, but not much, scientific investigation. Until more research is provided, it’s very difficult to say that radiation in itself causes any of the above health concerns. Still, because these are valid concerns, it is best to take certain precautions to reduce the amount of radiation you are exposed to on a daily basis.
How to Eliminate Radiation from Home Electronics
Test your home to determine where your radiation is emitted. Adjust your environment to reduce the amount of radiation that you are exposed to at home. Investing in clothing garments that protect against radiation can go a long way in protecting your health. Antioxidants may also protect from radiation, with turmeric being one of the highest sources of antioxidants in the spice world.
What are some ways you protect yourself from radiation? Do you wear protective clothing, or do you try to minimize your cell phone use? Please give us your suggestions and tips in the comments!
- Hardell L, Sage C. Biological effects from electromagnetic field exposure and public exposure standards. Biomed Pharmacother. 2008 Feb;62(2):104-9. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2007.12.004.
- CNet. Cell phones with the highest radiation levels. CNet.
- Karen N. Peart. Cell phone use in pregnancy may cause behavioral disorders in offspring. Yale News.
- Poulsen AH, Friis S, Johansen C, et al. Mobile phone use and the risk of skin cancer: a nationwide cohort study in Denmark. Am J Epidemiol. 2013 Jul 15;178(2):190-7. doi: 10.1093/aje/kws426.