In China, jiaogulan, or Gynostemma pentaphyllum, is referred to as the “immortality” herb. Elsewhere, jiaogulan is called southern ginseng (despite not being related to the ginsengs of the Panax family). It gets its name, however, because it shares similar adaptogenic and antioxidant properties as ginseng. Some research even suggests jiaogulan may be more powerful.
Ginseng On Steroids
Plants in the ginseng family, Panax ginseng, Panax quinquefolius, Panax notiginseng and their cousin, eleuthero, are potent energy tonics and adaptogens. They contain upwards of thirty different saponins, potent plant compounds that provide an energy boost and encourage good health.
Boost Your Energy with Jiaogulan
Although jiaogulan is regarded as an athletic performance booster, you don’t have to be an athlete to experience its benefits. Your energy level depends on how well your cells create energy. To create this energy, your cells need oxygen and they need protection from free radicals that disrupt the process. Many of jiaogulan’s saponins act as antioxidants to support the energy-production process. And, studies suggest the polysaccharides promote endurance, stamina, and reduce fatigue.
11 Additional Benefits of Jiaogulan
Studies have found jiaogulan offers a wide range of other health benefits, including…
- Promotes vascular flexibility and encourages blood flow
- Soothes irritation
- Supports normal cholesterol levels
- Promotes normal blood sugar
- Encourages a healthy weight
- Helps with blood pressure maintenance
- Supports the immune system
- Supports liver function
- Promotes awareness and mental sharpness
- Encourages a relaxed state
- Calms tense muscles
How to Supplement With Wildcrafted Jiaogulan
Jiaogulan is available as a loose-leaf tea or in capsule form. Serving sizes vary, so follow the directions on the label. Jiaogulan may have a blood thinning effect so you should check with your doctor before consuming.
I recommend wildcrafted jiaogulan, it’s what I used in the formulation of Ginseng Fuzion™, a blend of adaptogens, including eleuthero, American ginseng, and Tienchi ginseng.
Have you tried jiaogulan? What effects did you experience? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.
- Collins, Danica. Jiaogulan the Chinese Herb of Immortality. Underground Health Reporter. Underground Health Reporter, n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.
- Li B, Zhang X, Wang M, Jiao L. Characterization and antioxidant activities of acidic polysaccharides from Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Thunb.) Markino. Carbohydr Polym. 2015 Aug 20;127:209-14. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2015.03.069. Epub 2015 Mar 28.
- Lin-Na S, Yong-Xiu S. Effects of polysaccharides from Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Thunb.), Makino on physical fatigue. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2014 Apr 3;11(3):112-7. eCollection 2014.
- Tanner MA, Bu X, Steimle JA, Myers PR. The direct release of nitric oxide by gypenosides derived from the herb Gynostemma pentaphyllum. Nitric Oxide. 1999 Oct;3(5):359-65.
- Lokman EF, Gu HF, Wan Mohamud WN, Östenson CG2. Evaluation of Antidiabetic Effects of the Traditional Medicinal Plant Gynostemma pentaphyllum and the Possible Mechanisms of Insulin Release. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:120572. doi: 10.1155/2015/120572. Epub 2015 Jun 23.
- Park SH, Huh TL, Kim SY, Oh MR, Tirupathi Pichiah PB, Chae SW, Cha YS. Antiobesity effect of Gynostemma pentaphyllum extract (actiponin): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Jan;22(1):63-71. doi: 10.1002/oby.20539. Epub 2013 Sep 5.
- Yang YH, Yang J, Jiang QH. Hypolipidemic effect of gypenosides in experimentally induced hypercholesterolemic rats. Lipids Health Dis. 2013 Oct 25;12:154. doi: 10.1186/1476-511X-12-154.
- Shin KS, Zhao TT, Park KH, Park HJ, Hwang BY, Lee CK, Lee MK. Gypenosides attenuate the development of L-DOPA-induced dyskinesia in 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned rat model of Parkinson’s disease. BMC Neurosci. 2015 Apr 21;16:23. doi: 10.1186/s12868-015-0163-5.
Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM has studied natural healing methods for over 20 years and now teaches individuals and practitioners all around the world. He no longer sees patients but solely concentrates on spreading the word of health and wellness to the global community. Under his leadership, Global Healing Center, Inc. has earned recognition as one of the largest alternative, natural and organic health resources on the Internet.