Mercury is one of many extremely dangerous toxins in our environment.
What is Autism:
- Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.
- Symptoms usually become apparent before the age of 3
- Autism affects information processing in the brain by altering how nerve cells and their synapses connect
- Brain scans show differences in the shape and structure of the brain in children with autism versus neuro-typical children
- Autism symptoms and related conditions:>>>>>Low IQ, Seizures, Chronic Constipation and/or Diarrhea, Sleep Problems, Pica, Low Muscle Tone, Sensory Integration Disorder, Allergies/ Immune System, Pain, Hearing and Visual Impairments
Possible causes of Autism:
- environmental factors such as a family predisposition to mercury sensitivity
- Another theory to cause of autism is food allergies and there is some evidence that allergies to certain foods could contribute to autistic symptoms. Most people who hold to this theory feel that gluten (a wheat product) and casein (dairy) are the most significant culprits.
- exposure to the metals in environmental exposure—–it is believed that some children have a metabolic impairment that reduces the ability to rid their bodies of heavy metals and other toxins such as from pesticide exposure. Build-up of these toxins in the body can lead to brain and nervous system damage and developmental delays.
Since Autism has grown in astonishing numbers in the last 2 decades scientist’s have been searching for answers. While it is possible to nail down the cause of autism in some children, many times there is no definitive answer to the cause. Though quite a few rare genetic disorders and toxic exposures are known to cause autism or “autism-like symptoms” that may be misdiagnosed as autism, most cases of autism are considered “idiopathic,” meaning without known cause.
Theories link autism and vaccines:
- The first theory suggests that the MMR (Mumps-Measles-Rubella) vaccine may cause intestinal problems leading to the development of autism.
- The second theory suggests that a mercury-based preservative called thimerosal, used in some vaccines, could be connected to autism. The medical community has refuted these theories, but a many parents and researchers continue to disagree, based on anecdotal evidence.
According to A Swinburne University survey of 522 Australian survivors of pink disease – a form of mercury poisoning common in the early 20th century –
- found that one in 25 of their 398 grandchildren aged six to 12 had an autism spectrum disorder.
- The prevalence is six times higher than the one in 160 diagnosed in the general population.
The study, published this week in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, found the grandchildren did not have elevated rates of any other conditions such as epilepsy, Down syndrome, fragile X syndrome or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
The authors said although that Toolsey did not validate the autism diagnoses provided by the survivors in the surveys their study added to mounting evidence of a link between genetics, mercury sensitivity and autism spectrum disorders.
They said the research also strongly suggested that autism was caused by a combination of genetic factors, environmental factors such as a family predisposition to mercury sensitivity.
There have been two warring camps —one that attributes autism to genetics and the other which claims it is caused by an environmental trigger ” said Associate Professor David Austin, one of the authors of the paper. ”This study suggests that it may actually be a combination of the two. That is, genetic susceptibility to a trigger [mercury] and then exposure to that trigger.
Professor Austin said his team was now examining the cellular and genetic characteristics of pink disease survivors and people with autism to try to understand the potential mechanisms.
He said people with a suspected family history of pink disease, (the most common KNOWN cause of Pink Disease was mercury containing teething powders), especially young children and women who are pregnant and breastfeeding, should limit their exposure to mercury. ”This can be done by observing the recommendations of Food Standards Australia regarding seafood consumption, opting for non-amalgam dental fillings and requesting preservative-free vaccines from your doctor,” he said.
Autism experts welcomed the study but said it should be repeated to test the findings, especially given the autism diagnoses were not independently confirmed after the survey.
If you have a child with Autism or know someone that does – you understand the struggles that these families go through. For more information and to get support go to –http://www.autism-society.org/
Our children are all precious to us – we want to give them the best chance at a healthy life as we can. In my opinion I think it would be a great idea if we all tried to limit our exposure to Mercury in every way we can. I believe that non-amalgam dental fillings and preservative free vaccines should be a mandatory requirement from drug manufactures companies, doctors and dentists!
Eating healthy and organic, going green in every aspect of our lives and eliminating toxins in every way we can can help all of us ensure a healthier life for our families!
About the Author: Marla Gates is the owner of http://organic4greenlivings.com/. Marla worked for over 10 years in healthcare, which helped her understand the dramatic need for changes in our society and how we view what healthy actually is. Her mission is education and awareness, so that people can make healthier choices and ensure a safe world for all of us to live in, now and for future generations. Since she has suffered from Environment Illness or Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), for 20 years or more it has given her the first-hand knowledge on what chemicals and pollution can do to your health. She knows how important it is to clean up our environment. So come join her and read her blog. With her research on various topics, she will give the best information possible. She believes that we can clean up our environment, but it will take time. Rome was not built-in a day nor can we make our world safe in one day! Each one of us needs to do our part to make it safe for ourselves, our children, grandchildren and all future generations. We can only do it one day at a time and one step at a time! Please join her in “Saving Our Planet Earth” “Go Green” & “Organic” to Live A Healthier Life!