The importance of the Parotid Gland for the Immune System and Detoxification
Do you have mercury fillings in your mouth?
Have you had mercury fillings in your mouth at any time in the past?
Do you have gas, bloating or indigestion?
Do you get the cold or flu often?
If so, here are a couple really important things you must know about mercury and its affect on your body.
Mercury is one of the most toxic substances on the planet. The American Dental Association (ADA) has long said that mercury fillings or amalgams are harmless.
“Dental amalgam is considered a safe, affordable and durable material that has been used to restore the teeth of more than 100 million Americans.”
This doesn’t make one iota of sense. This is the equivalent of saying smoking cigarettes is good for your health. How can one of the most toxic substances in the world sit in your mouth and not have an effect on your health, especially being inches from the brain? Without exposure to anything, they say it is harmless. They are right. However, in the human mouth it doesn’t just sit there. Two main things cause vapors to be released: heat and friction.
You would never be able to consume something warm or eat ever again. Take an amalgam in your hand and rub on it with a spoon or knife and use an instrument to test the vapor that is released. The amount of mercury released by this friction releases 2-5 times what would be considered safe level s of vapors by OSHA. This happens in the mouth many times per day. It is far from harmless.
Mercury damages the tissue of things around it. Clinically, it damages the things that are closest first and then it moves to other parts of the body. The sublingual, submandibular and parotid gland are the first parts to be affected. Other parts to mention are the eyes, sinuses, the brain and the thyroid.
Once the damage is done from mercury, it is like glue and when it goes to other parts of the body it stays there. Heavy metals must be chelated or removed from the body. Mercury doesn’t leave the body unless you are targeting it specifically.
Damaged tissues need direct support to be regenerated. Eating good organic food, exercising, juicing or taking good quality whole food supplements is not enough to repair the damage.
Mercury fillings damage and they do a really great job of it. The parotid gland is the largest salivary gland in the mouth. It has so many fascinating and critical functions for the health of the body. This is important for three main reasons.
- Digestion. Do you get gas? Do you get bloated? Do you have indigestion? All of these symptoms can be the result of poor digestion or not breaking down food. The parotid gland emits amylase, which is the primary enzyme that helps your body breakdown carbohydrates. The breakdown of food is critical if you want to absorb and metabolize your food. Many naturopaths have long believed that impaired digestion is the start of what brings on most disease in the body. The other components in the saliva help to clean the upper digestive tract as well.
- Immune System. The parotid gland emits lysosome, which is an organelle that contains enzymes that dissolve or destroy both viruses and bacteria. In other words, it is the first line of defense our body has against things our body doesn’t like that enter into our mouths. This is why they are commonly called “suicide sacs”. Lysosome gets rid of waste and cellular debris, which leads to our next point.
- Lysosome is thought to be critical to help the body detoxify from heavy metals and heavy chemicals. It may serve as one of the most critical ways our body naturally detoxifies.
The function of the parotid gland is therefore critical for digestion, your immune function and for detoxification. Its role cannot be understated.
I personally had six mercury fillings in my mouth for more than 10 years. They were removed and replaced with resin fillings about five years ago. When I was tested using kinesiology, it was determined that my parotid gland was functioning at 13%. Thirteen percent!!!
Like many others, I was full of mercury and was beginning to suffer from digestive symptoms in addition to getting sick. If you have had just one mercury filling in your mouth for any amount of time, your parotid gland has surely suffered.
There is good news. The parotid gland can be supported, cellular health can return and regeneration is possible. Here is how it can be done.
- Parotid PMG. Parotid PMG from Standard Process provides uniquely derived nucleoprotein-mineral extracts that support cellular health. It also supports healthy parotid gland function.
- Cholacol II. While taking Parotid PMG, the body may begin to cleanse due to the health of this gland being restored. It is critical that substances like mercury and other heavy metals and chemicals that have been causing problems are removed safely from the body. Cholacol II is mainly bentonite clay which helps to remove toxins and support healthy elimination. It is critical to take both at the same time.
- Digestive Enzymes. If parotid function has been impaired, taking a digestive enzyme such as Multizyme may be needed for a short time to give the pancreas a breather and to help the proper breakdown of food. Multizyme is an amazing digestive enzyme product that helps the body breakdown proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
- Chew your food to a soupy mush. Many people take a bit, chew three times and swallow. Give you body a change to digest the food you eat and your immune system the opportunity to defend you by chewing your food many times. Slow down and enjoy your food. Proteins (meats) are the hardest to breakdown and it is suggested that you chew as many as forty time before swallowing each bite.
If you are serious about detoxifying your body from heavy metals and chemicals, it is highly recommended that you start with giving your parotid gland support.
Dr. Scott Graves ND, MA is a Florida-based Naturopath and Intuitive who specializes in Nutrition Response Testing, NAET, EFT, and Psychokinesiology. He offers free 15 minute phone consultations and is available for radio and TV interviews.