Oregano -what a wonderful herb. What could it do for your health? Let me tell you how many health benefits this amazing herb “Oregano” and the by-product “Oil of Oregano” can offer you. Numerous university studies have shown that Oil of Oregano is a highly potent purifier that provides many benefits for human health.
Oregano is an important culinary herb, used for the flavor of its leaves, which can often be more flavorful when dried than fresh. Oregano contains numerous phyto-nutrients.
Make sure you don’t confuse Oil of Oregano with common oregano used as a spice for cooking.
Health and Medicinal Benefits of Oil of Oregano:
It is known to be a potent antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic oil that can reduce pain and inflammation and effectively fight off infections from it’s germ killing properties.
Oil of Oregano has been widely studied within the scientific community for its many medical uses and is well-respected in the natural and alternative medical community.
Oregano oil also has extremely high levels of free-radical-fighting antioxidants– agents that protect the body from the development of chronic conditions over time.
A study from the US Dept of Agriculture showed that oregano essential oils presented antimicrobial activities against Salmonella and E.coli.
On a per gram fresh weight basis, oregano has demonstrated 42 times more antioxidant activity than apples, 30 times more than potatoes, 12 times more than oranges and 4 times more than blueberries.
Oregano is a very good source of iron, manganese and dietary fiber, as well as a good source of calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A (through its concentration pro-vitamin A carotenoids like beta-carotene) and omega-3 fatty acids.
Oregano strengthens the immune system and increases joint and muscle flexibility.
1. Skin Problems: Destroying organisms that contribute to skin infections and digestive problems. Oil of Oregano (Check out for your skin health) can be applied directly on the skin to treat itches, skin infections, and irritated gums, but only if it has been diluted. Always follow the instructions on your particular bottle before applying topically to the skin.
2. Improving respiratory health: Oil of Oregano is an excellent early defense mechanism when you feel a sore throat coming on. Simply take 3 drops of the oil once per day for 5 days (you can mix it into a glass of orange juice) and you should notice results within a few hours.
3. Digestive Problems: The high concentrations of thymol and carvacrol in Oil of Oregano have been shown to calm upset stomachs and aid digestion. Therefore, a quick home remedy for mild indigestion is to drink a glass of milk or juice that is mixed with 2 or 3 drops of the oil.
4. Sinus Congestion & Anti-allergen: Oil of Oregano is a wonderful natural remedy for sinus congestion. Anti-allergen — Oregano oils produce a sedating effect on the hyper-sensitivity of allergies, offering relief for allergic reactions. A common solution is to add 3 drops of the oil into a glass of juice and drink this mixture daily for 3 to 5 days.
5. Menopause Aid: Oregano oil can aid in healing irregular menstruation and reducing the negative effects of menopause.
Oregano and oil of oregano can help you on your journey to health, so make sure you add it to your list of remedies for a healthier lifestyle!
Marla Gates is the owner of organic4greenlivings.com. Marla worked for over 10 years in healthcare, which helped her understand the dramatic need for changes in our society and how we view what healthy actually is. Her mission is education and awareness, so that people can make healthier choices and ensure a safe world for all of us to live in. Since she has suffered from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), for 20 years or more it has given her the first-hand knowledge on what chemicals and pollution can do to your health. She knows how important it is to clean up our environment. So come join her, read her blog and learn how to live healthy and green. She believes that we can clean up our environment, but it will take time. Please join her in “Saving Our Planet Earth” “Go Green” & “Organic” to Live A Healthier Life!