Are scented candles safe for you and your family’s health and the environment? Many people love the pleasant aroma, especially around the holiday of cinnamon, barberry, pine and many other scents. Scents are alluring to all our senses. Some scents can relax us after a stressful day at work, or add a touch of romance to a special dinner with that special someone. But there are some things that you need to know before lighting the scented candle and some safe solutions you just might want to consider.
The recent increased popularity of scented candles has prompted concerns by consumers and public health officials about their emission products. According to the National Candle Association, sales are approaching $2 billion annually. The combustion of scented candles used by residents in poorly ventilated areas may raise indoor concentrations. The lack of data on candle emission prompted this research into the volitale, semi-votatile and particulate emission from scented candles and their potential health risks.
Use of scented candles many contribute significant quantities of pollutants to the indoor environment, especially soot, benzene and lead. Dozens of other compounds were identified in individual candles, but their contribution to occupant risks were not characterized in this limited data risk characterization. Please read the reports as according to Lead Action News Click Here
According to scientists, scented candles can be bad for your health. The smoke produced by many of them is laced with toxins linked to cancer, asthma and eczema. The occasional use of a candle is unlikely to do any harm, but we should avoid using them day after day in bathrooms and other poorly ventilated rooms, say the researchers.
The U.S. researchers burnt a range of candles in the laboratory and collected and tested the substances given off. This showed that those made of paraffin wax, the most common type, released potentially harmful amounts of chemicals such as toluene and benzene.
According to the American Chemical Society’s annual conference, some of the pollutants have been linked to cancer, while others could trigger asthma attacks or skin complaints. Most of those on sale in Britain, including many scented ones, are made of paraffin wax, a by product of the petroleum industry.
Beeswax and soy candles, which are more expensive, were given a clean bill of health in the tests.
The dangers from scented candles are much more potential to individuals that have allergies or asthma, and it might be wise to steer clear of any scented candle or sometimes it is just particular scents that trigger reactions. It is also wise to burn them in well ventilated area, not to be left unattended, and make sure you buy candles that you are familiar with and are sure of the ingredients. Its better to be safe than sorry!
Purchasing beeswax or soy based candles are a healthy choice. Even if someone in your family cannot tolerate any scent, you can still enjoy burning unscented beeswax candles and enjoy the relaxing atmosphere. Remember to make sure that it is in a well ventilated area to avoid many health issues and air quality issues.
Personally, I love the atmosphere and soft glow of a burning candle but cannot tolerate any scented candles or the air quality problems that burning candles can cause. I have found the perfect solution. Use the battery operated flickering candles that are safe, environmentally friendly and you can still enjoy that relaxing feeling without the many health dangers of scented candles. Many department stores carry them and you can find some great sales on them at this time of year. So enjoy the holidays, relax and save electricity, keep your environment healthy for your whole family, free from pollutants. Make your home sweet home the safe, natural, and healthy way!
Marla Gates is the owner of organic4greenlivings.com. Marla worked for over 10 years in healthcare, which helped her understand the dramatic need for changes in our society and how we view what healthy actually is. Her mission is education and awareness, so that people can make healthier choices and ensure a safe world for all of us to live in. Since she has suffered from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), for 20 years or more it has given her the first-hand knowledge on what chemicals and pollution can do to your health. So come join her, read her blog and learn how to live healthy and green.