An alkali metal related to sodium and potassium, lithium has been traditionally used within allopathic medicine to treat mental imbalances such as anxiety and depression. However, there are many side effects to taking this strong mineral, as the body poorly absorbs the standard forms of lithium Carbonate. That is, until lithium orotate was discovered.
Lithium orotate offers superior bio-utilization for the human body, allowing the mineral to penetrate the mitochondria, glia and lysosomes that exist within the intracellular structures of our cells. The mineral stabilizes these lysosomal membranes, slowing the enzymatic reaction that leads to many of the negative side effects of other forms of lithium salts.
Most people are unaware that lithium is not a drug, but is a naturally occurring mineral from the earth. Just like calcium and potassium, lithium is something that every human body requires for mental and physical health.
Many people are familiar with the pharmaceutical forms of lithium (lithium carbonate and lithium citrate), these aforementioned chemical extracts used to treat mania and depression.
Lithium orotate is very different than the other forms of the mineral. Whereas pharmaceutical drug forms of lithium require high doses to penetrate our cells, lithium orotate is only needed in extremely small serving size, considering the fact that a massive amount of the mineral penetrates the cell (approximately 97%). The other great news is that unlike its pharmaceutical counterparts, lithium orotate is non-toxic, safe, has little to no side effects, and works on 70% to 80% of people who use it.
Health Benefits of Lithium Orotate
Brain Protection: Studies show that the mineral lithium can actually rejuvenate and build the grey matter nerve cells in the brain by up to three percent.
Anti-Aging Effects: Small amounts of lithium orotate have been shown to offer anti-aging effects to the brain.
Neuroprotection From Environmental Toxins: Lithium has been shown to protect the system from numerous toxins, particularly in the grey matter of the brain.
Lithium Orotate May Also Aid:
- Lyme Disease
- Low white blood cell counts
- Juvenile convulsive disease
- Alcoholism and liver disorders
- Pain associated with migraine and cluster headaches
- Hyperthyroidism and other thyroid diseases: Studies show that lithium may aid in the even distribution of iodine.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), as well as a general stress reducer.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and aggression: Studies show that individuals taking Lithium experienced lowered levels of rage and anger, as well as improved memory.
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- In the reduction of myopia (nearsightedness) and glaucoma: Dr. Hans Nieper found that glaucoma patients could benefit from the dehydrating effect of lithium on the eye, offering patients vision improvement and a lowering of intraocular pressure.
- Bipolar disorder: Orotates may lessen effects of manic or depressive episodes. Lithium has been shown to serve as an effective mood balancer in 70-80 percent of bipolar patients.
- Depression: the therapeutic serving of lithium orotate is 150 mg/day. This is compared to 900-1800 mg of the prescription forms. In this range of lithium orotate, there are no adverse side effects and no need for monitoring blood serum measurements.
Do not attempt to self-medicate a mental imbalance with lithium orotate. Speak with your health care provider for more information. Pregnant and nursing women should not take any type of lithium supplement.
Also, lithium should not be taken by those with renal or cardiovascular diseases, severe dehydration or exhaustion, sodium depletion, or in individuals using any form of diuretics or ACE inhibitors.
Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM has studied natural healing methods for over 20 years and now teaches individuals and practitioners all around the world. He no longer sees patients but solely concentrates on spreading the word of health and wellness to the global community. Under his leadership, Global Healing Center, Inc. has earned recognition as one of the largest alternative, natural and organic health resources on the Internet.