Allergies and sensitivities are such a common problem in our society today. Understanding the basic facts about allergies and sensitivities can be very helpful and important if you suffer from food allergies, inhalant or even chemical sensitivities. It can help to find the proper treatment that you might desperately need. Allergies and sensitivities can range from mild to severe and even life threatening.
5 clinical basic categories:
1. Inhalant Allergy: those that have essentially nose, eye, respiratory, and skin symptoms to common airborne substances such as dust, dust mites, molds, animal dander and pollen. Pollen includes grasses, trees, and weeds. The symptoms can be seasonal or year around.
2. Food Allergy: those that have predominately food allergens. They usually are not seasonal and the symptoms vary depending upon exposure to the foods that caused the reactions. Reactions and symptoms may be immediately apparent or delayed for up to 3-4 days after eating the offending food.
3. Chemical Sensitivities: those that have a variety of both physical and mental symptoms upon exposure such as perfume, gasoline, tobacco smoke, cleaning products, pesticides, detergents, and the list goes on and on. Patients with chemical reactions also might have inhalant or food allergies and can include sensitivity to electromagnetic fields. Chemicals can cause both injury (toxic) reactions and at the same time cause sensitivity reactions in our bodies.
Most chemical sensitive patients also have some degree of chemical injury which could have occurred from one single exposure or from many exposures to a variety of different chemicals, either from a long-term to low-level degree of exposure. Chemicals have disrupting effects on the bodies hormones and metabolism. Most patients that have chemical reactions have weak digestive functions and hormonal imbalances, especially the adrenal glands.
4. Multiple Allergy and Sensitivity: this usually falls under the category of “Environmental Illness or MCS”. These patients have a combination of inhalant, food, and chemical sensitivities. There are an infinite number of combinations, varying in degree and severity, and largely dependent on the genetic makeup of the patient.
5. Universal Reactor: those with such severe allergies and environmental sensitivities that they seem to reaction to everything. They usually have many health problems and are labeled by “Conventional Medical Field” as crazy or depressed. They usually have to take extreme avoidance measures to stay well and require the best that environmental medicine can offer. This of course also falls under “Environmental Illness and MCS.”
For more information on Environmental Illness and allergies click on www.chemicalinjury.net/
Environmental Illness is the result of adverse reactions to overwhelming substance including the air we breathe, food we eat, water we drink, medications we take and substance that are everywhere in our world today, including our homes and offices. It effects many organs of our bodies — respiratory, nervous and brain, urinary, immune, gastrointestinal system, musculoskeletal system, endocrine (hormonal) system, reproductive system and changes our lives tremendously! Although there is no cure at this time for severe allergies or Environmental Illness new research is being done.
Marla Gates is the owner of organic4greenlivings.com. Marla worked for over 10 years in healthcare, which helped her understand the dramatic need for changes in our society and how we view what healthy actually is. Her mission is education and awareness, so that people can make healthier choices and ensure a safe world for all of us to live in. Since she has suffered from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), for 20 years or more it has given her the first-hand knowledge on what chemicals and pollution can do to your health. So come join her, read her blog and learn how to live healthy and green.