Survival Saturday is a round-up of the week’s news and resources for folks who are interested in being prepared.
This Week in the News
This week on Survival Saturday, we have a wide variety of topics to cover. North Korea is playing war games, glyphosate has been discovered in a huge percentage of vaccines, and there are some updates on (gasp) presidential campaign cheats, insults, and scandals.
Grab some coffee and we’ll talk about this week’s news!
Who in the heck gave Kim Jong-un a nuke?
Seriously, there’s irresponsible and evil, like your everyday villains in the Die Hard movies, and then there’s the person who gave Kim Jong-un ballistic nuclear capabilities. It’s a whole new level of malicious lunacy to hand weapons of mass destruction to an ultra-secretive, brutally repressive empire like North Korea. For heaven’s sake, they actually banned sarcasm because their leader was worried that people were only agreeing with him “ironically.” I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that dissenters get put in work camps forever if they get to live at all.
Anyhoo, the past few weeks, North Korea has been acting up. They’ve fired missiles in the general direction of Japan. They’ve been running drills and testing nuclear weapons. Yesterday, they ran their fifth and largest test on a nuclear weapon – and that test was shortly followed by a 5.3 magnitude earthquake near the test site.
It appears that they’ve gotten the attention of the world now. The UN Security Council called an emergency meeting to decide on sanctions, and when asked, President Obama would not rule out military action against North Korea.
Vaccines: Now with Round-Up!
This isn’t about the vaccine debate, the should-you-or-shouldn’t-you, or the make-everyone-get-vaccinated-or-isolate-them-from-society discussion.
It’s about new, peer-reviewed information of which every parent, every person who is debating a flu shot, and every person who is considering a shingles vaccine, should be aware. Whether you are pro-vaccine, anti-vaccine, or a fan of alternate schedule vaccines, this is something you need to know.
And speaking of alternative schedules, here in California, that is verboten. The lawmakers in this state are vaccine crazy, and they won’t stand for any alteration of their massive mandatory schedule. In fact, Dr. Bob Sears, the pediatrician credited with creating the alternate schedule, which spaces the doses out more and omits certain vaccines, is at risk of losing his California medical license for writing an exemption for a child who had an extremely severe reaction to a vaccination.
More cheating, name-calling, and miscellany from the Clinton campaign
It probably isn’t much of a headline to say that the Clinton campaign is cheating and would do anything in order to win the presidential election. Anyone who paid even the slightest attention to the shenanigans at the Democratic National Convention has watched the depths the campaign will plumb. But here’s the latest, anyway.
- First of all, uh-oh. The Justice Department has granted immunity to the Bleach-bit guy who scrubbed Clinton’s computer. Let’s take a moment here, and hope fervently that the Bleach-bit guy has fantastic security and is interested in going into witness protection forever and ever if he manages to survive long enough to testify.
- The newest theory about Hillary Clinton’s questionable health is that she could have Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s is a chronic and progressive disorder that involves the death and malfunction of brain cells, eventually leaving the sufferer eventually unable to control his or her own movement.
- Goldman Sachs, a banking firm that many consider having been single-handedly responsible for the crash of 2008 (but don’t worry, they got a taxpayer bailout) has made some rules for their employees. Namely, employees are forbidden from donating to Donald Trump’s campaign, but it’s cool if they want to donate to Hillary Clinton’s campaign. That’s not sketchy at all.
- Hillary Clinton just called Trump supporters a “basket of deplorables.” But that’s not all she said.
“…you know, just to be grossly generalist, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables.”
“Right?” she said as the crowd laughed and applauded. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it,” Clinton continued.
- ThinkProgress.org immediately leaped to her defense with a survey that “proved” Trump supporters are horrible people.
Anything to add to Survival Saturday?
Do you have any news links you want to share? Now’s the time! You are absolutely welcome to post your links in the comments below. Please join the discussion!