I recently had a visit from a representative of an air purification company. The product that she showed me was outstanding and had all the makings of an industry leader. I will say that the rep did a most outstanding job with her presentation and I was very well pleased with the product. However, perhaps if I had not spent so much time studying proper breathing and fresh air I would have been more persuaded by the heavy hitters that they promoted in order to further persuade potential customers to part with their money. This series of posts are a result of my little visit. While I may purchase a unit in the future I will not do so for the supposed reasons that the rep and company and many of the other companies deem necessary. I wish to help you also to make a more well informed decision as to why you should and should not purchase an air purifier in the first place.
For your reference I will list some things that cause the air to become impure:
- Poor or little ventilation.
- Failure to open windows and air out the house or not doing so long enough for a good exchange of fresh oxygen.
- Chemicals from clothing, furniture, house hold appliances, synthetic candles, fake plants and etc…. along with failure to comply with the second bullet.
- Cleaning solutions used or improperly mixed at home or work.
- Accumulation of dust and dust mites.
Do you know which one of these bullets really have the greatest impact on your health? Yes that is somewhat of a loaded question considering that on the surface they seem to all be a pretty even bet. However, the failure to get one of these straight is the true leading cause to many of the myriad of problems that these air purifier companies to use their most powerful method of persuasion. It is also the easiest overlooked contender to many of your other health issues and goes along hand in hand with another topic I have spoken a great deal about here on this blog. Don’t get too upset because I’m not telling, at least not now.
In the meantime I want to shed some light on one of the big heavy hitters the air purification companies seem to focus on which is the infamous dust mite and how they negatively impact your health.
Let’s discuss some points on dust mites taken directly from the following website http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/dustmites.php :
- House dust mites are microscope bugs that primarily live on dead skin cells regularly shed from humans and their animal pets.
- House dust mites are not actually harmful. However, the medical significance of house dust mites arises because their microscopic cast skins and feces are a major constituent of house dust that induces allergic reactions in some individuals.
- Mites prefer warm, moist surroundings such as the inside of a mattress when someone is on it. A favorite food is dander (both human and animal skin flakes). About 80 percent of the material seen floating in a sunbeam is actually skin flakes. Also, bedroom carpeting and household upholstery support high mite populations.
- Skin cells and scales, commonly called dander, are often concentrated in lounging areas, mattresses, frequently used furniture and associated carpeted areas, often harbor large numbers of these microscopic mites. Since the average human sloughs off 1/3 ounce (10 grams) of dead skin a week. That gives dust mites a lot to eat. Cats and dogs create far more dander for dust mites to eat.
- The protein substances in the dust mite feces produce antibodies in humans who are allergic when these are inhaled or touch the skin. These antibodies cause the release of histamines which causes to nasal congestion, swelling and irritation of the upper respiratory passages.
- Unlike other types of mites, house dust mites are not parasites, since they only eat dead tissue.
According to statistics:
- 17 million Americans, including 4.8 million children, suffer from asthma.
- Since 1980, the number of reported cases of asthma has jumped 50%.
- Asthma attacks account for 33% of all pediatric emergency room visits.
- Asthma is the leading cause of school absenteeism, accounting for 10 million school days missed each year.
It is generally reported that dust mites are leading cause behind much of those bullets along with many allergies. Really it just so happens to be the great accumulation of their fecal matter from all that fine dining that they do. There is quite a bit I’d like to point out on this topic but I’m going to keep it somewhat short, please forgive me.
Things to keep in mind
- Dust mites serve a purpose as do vultures, which is to scavenge. They just so happen to be the vacuum cleaners for your dead skin waste.
- The environment is the great determining factor not the mites (Yes I will elaborate on this briefly but not yet.)
- You don’t have to be a clean freak to mitigate this problem.
Yes, I could have added more bullets but I chose not to. For now I will just elaborate on the second bullet and hit on the others later. So just keep the anticipation for a little longer. So what did I mean by the environment being the determining factor? It is similar to a colon that is backed up with bodily waste matter. When this happens it causes an exponential growth of supposed bad bacteria. Do you have any idea what type of byproduct that they just so happen to give off? It is very acidic just in case you did not know or just acid altogether. For those of you who are dedicated readers you know well that too much acid spells very bad things such as oxygen deprivation and ultimate mass cell destruction to name a few. So you have these dust mites that solely exist to reduce all of that dead skin that you and your pets are constantly shedding. However, like the bacteria they have a byproduct that they put off, which is their waste matter. Now you just mix that in with a household in which lacks fresh clean air (windows are rarely opened if ever), along with chemicals emitted from the furniture, curtains, floors, and etc. and dare I say it a household of shallow breathers. I will just be frank; this is the recipe for an asthmatic and allergic disaster. In other words it is more than just dust mite fecal matter as a sole driving force here folks. It is the environment that influences the body that yields the deterioration of health. On the other hand, it is the mental environment that directly impacts the state of the home environment. So that is one of the reasons of this post, to help positively influence that mental environment so that the other can change.
On a more comical note it’s time to start up a grass roots dust mites advocacy so that they can be rightfully exonerated as the sole source of our allergen and asthma problems. Just try to imagine a world without these supposed horrible creatures. I wonder what would become of all that accumulated dead skin that they happen to be in charge of devouring. Hmmmm, kinda makes you wonder doesn’t it.
I know I haven’t mentioned much about the air purifiers but stick around because I’m just laying the foundation here. We certainly are not finished with this topic yet, so I will see you soon.
Julian Cox is the founder of Seize it Health Matters, a company dedicated to helping people reconnect with themselves and their environment, empowering them with the information they need to make a more well rounded decision in the face of the conflicting information of health and nutrition and provide them with the inspiration to do something for themselves and assist them in achieving their goals of alleviation from their painful state. Based in Spanaway, WA he works with clients by phone, Skype and in person. His practice is focused on helping individuals who are suffering from chronic pain reconnect with themselves and understand the triggers that are contributing to their condition. This is achieved through teaching the individual how to be more in tune with their own body and give them the encouragement, tools and knowledge so that once the program is complete they will be able to continually help themselves maintain a greater level of alleviation than they have known, as he is doing for his own chronic condition. You can learn more about Julian and his services at www.seizeithealthmatters.com. You may also visit his online store at www.cafepress.com/bnspired1.